The first fire brigade was established in Mecca in 1346 H in 1926 AD. This group joined General Security Service and was called the presidency of all the fire fighters. On 15/07/1963 H 23/05/1948 a fire brigade has been established in Medina as well as in Riyadh and Jeddah. In 1380 H in 1960 the fire brigade was separated from the General Security and was given the name of General Directorate of the fire fighting and was directly related to the Interior Ministry. In 24/03/1985H 22/07/1965 a Royal Decision No. 6358 was taken to change the name of the General Directorate of Civil Defense.